Review : Le Food @ SS18 Subang

le food subang signboard outside
Anybody who knows me well will know I am generally not a fan of vegetarian cuisine because in my experience with them they tend to be tasteless, or deep fried unhealthily with lots of batter, or consisting of fake ingredients - none of which I associate to be healthy which really defeats the purpose of going vegan. 

However, my lunch companion was vegan yesterday so we headed to SS18 Organic Vegetarian Fresh Mart and Restaurant to eat. Upon parking we saw Le Food few shops down and being curious souls checked it out and lo and behold it was an all vegetarian restaurant with an equally interesting menu to boot! 

le food subang interior
Le Food SS18 is a new baby on the block just shy of 2 weeks into its opening with a promise to serve tasty healthy food without the 3 evils - MSG, preservatives, artificial colorings & flavors. They do have another branch at Bandar Bukit Tinggi Klang but that location is definitely out of our reach so this SS18 branch is a real blessing for us! Being newly opened means Le Food is not offering its full menu yet and is instead subsisting on a soft launch menu for a month which you can check out below:    

le food subang soft launch menu
the soft launch menu

The soft launch menu was enough to excite me. And having taken a look at the full menu, I have to admit I will definitely be making a return as several items has already caught my attention. And for the record, this is the FIRST TIME EVER a vegetarian restaurant has gotten me this excited and making me want to return soon to try other items on the menu! 

le food subang drinks
Our drinks. L : Waterberry Juice, R : Jasmine Green Tea

Le Food Subang Le Rendang Lemon Grass Lion Mane Mushroom
What's this called : Le Rendang Lemon Grass Lion Mane Mushroom

What's in it : Lion mane mushroom cooked with rendang spices and organic extra virgin coconut oil, scented with ginger and lemongrass, sprinkled with fresh toasted coconut. Served with butterfly pea nasi lemak.

Chubsquared thoughts : This was their lunch special of the day and was a steal at just RM13.90 including a jasmine green tea drink (usual price is RM20.90). I'm usually not a fan of lemon grass and unfortunately this dish did not change my perception towards it : the lemon grass taste is very strong, but I am certain lemon grass lovers will love it because it is very fragrant. I did like everything else about the dish though. I felt the nasi lemak was very unique as it utilized butterfly pea, while the sambal was SO delicious I ate it on its own. The usual ikan bilis was substituted with a fried soy-based product which tasted good and the walnuts were roasted to perfection. While I personally would not order this again due to my dislike of lemon grass, I will be ordering their standard nasi lemak the next time which sounds and looks so delicious that I've planned a return date a week later. Yup, for now, I'm a convert vegan folks. 

Le food subang Mushroom Cauliflower Spaghetti

What's this called : Mushroom Cauliflower Spaghetti (RM17.80)

What's in it : Olive oil stir fry mozzarella, cauliflower, and white button with penne. Garnished with broccoli bites and parmesan cheese.

Chubsquared thoughts : Sounded more interesting and delicious than it looks and tasted unfortunately. This was a very basic "comfort food" dish which can be easily replicated at home. We had higher expectations for this and was slightly let down but that's just us with higher-than-normal expectations for good food. Don't get me wrong, this tasted fine, but just not what we were expecting after reading that description.

Overall Chubsquared-tified : 2/3 Food was good and acceptable. Will likely return to try something else. As mentioned above, I have already set a date to return to try the Nasi Lemak and will update again after that.

chubsquared
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review : Naj & Belle @ Bangsar

Review : Bla Bla Bla @ Kuching